The Rev. Dr. Patrick S. Cheng, J.D., Ph.D.
Other Key Publications
Key Lectures and Talks
- Episcopal priest, canonically resident in the Diocese of New York.
- Ph.D. from Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York; J.D. from Harvard Law School; B.A. from Yale College.
- Visiting Professor of Anglican Studies at Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York.
- Associate Priest at The Church of the Transfiguration ("The Little Church Around the Corner"), New York City.
- Senior Vice President of Business Compliance at the Church Pension Group.
- Author of three books on queer theology, each of which has been translated into Chinese, Japanese, and/or Korean.
- Ph.D., Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York, New York, NY.
- Ph.D. (2010), M.Phil. (2009), M.A. (2001), Systematic Theology.
- Doctoral Adviser: Dr. James Cone.
- Maxwell Fellowship; Hansen Award; Union Scholarship.
- J.D., Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA.
- J.D. (1993).
- Magna cum laude.
- Executive Editor, Harvard Law Review.
- B.A., Yale College, New Haven, CT.
- B.A. (1990).
- Summa cum laude.
- Phi Beta Kappa.
- Distinction in the Major, English Language and Literature.
- See "Seminary Teaching" section.
- Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York, New York, NY.
- Visiting Professor of Anglican Studies (2023-present).
- Interim Faculty Adviser to Episcopal Students (2023).
- Episcopal Divinity School at Union Theological Seminary, New York, NY.
- Visiting Professor of Anglican Studies (2022-23).
- Lecturer / Adjunct Faculty in Anglican Studies (2020-22).
- Courses taught included Anglican Studies Capstone Seminar: From Seminary to Ministerial Leadership; Anglican Studies: Discernment of Call; Queer Anglicanism; Queer Theology.
- Chicago Theological Seminary, Chicago, IL.
- Affiliated Associate Professor of Theology (2015).
- Courses taught included Queer Theology.
- Episcopal Divinity School, Cambridge, MA.
- Associate Professor of Historical and Systematic Theology (tenured) (2014).
- Assistant Professor (2010-14).
- Courses taught included Early Christianity; Contemporary Christologies; Introduction to Systematic Theology; Heaven, Hell, and Last Things; Queer Theology and Pastoral Care; Administration and Finance for Congregations; and History, Polity, and Canon Law of The Episcopal Church.
- See "Parish Teaching" and "Sermons" sections.
- The Church of the Transfiguration ("The Little Church Around the Corner"), New York, NY.
- Associate Priest (2021-present; 2015-17).
- Associate Rector (2017-19).
- Saint Thomas Church Fifth Avenue, New York, NY.
- St. Bartholomew's Church, New York, NY.
- Assisting Priest (2015).
- Emmanuel Church in the City of Boston, Boston, MA.
- Deacon (2014-15).
- Pastoral Associate (2012-14).
- New York State Bar.
- Member (1995-present).
- Church Pension Group, New York, NY.
- Senior Vice President of Business Compliance (2022-present).
- Senior Vice President of Client Benefits and Education Compliance (2017-21).
- Vice President and Chief Compliance Officer (2014-17).
- Various legal positions, including Senior Vice President and General Counsel (2000-10).
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett, LLP, New York, NY.
- Associate Attorney, Executive Compensation and Employee Benefits (1995-99).
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore, LLP, New York, NY.
- Associate Attorney, Tax (1994-95).
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, Los Angeles, CA.
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Stephen Reinhardt, Circuit Judge (1993-94).
- See "Books" section.
- Rainbow Theology: Bridging Race, Sexuality, and Spirit. New York: Seabury Books, 2013.
- From Sin to Amazing Grace: Discovering the Queer Christ, New York: Seabury Books, 2012.
- Radical Love: An Introduction to Queer Theology. New York: Seabury Books, 2011.
- Co-Editor, Queering Christianity: Finding a Place at the Table for LGBTQI Christians. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger, 2013.
Other Key Publications
- See Google Scholar profile and "Articles" section.
- "Queer Theology." In Ford's The Modern Theologians: An Introduction to Theology Since 1918, 4th ed. Edited by Rachel Muers and Ashley Cocksworth. West Sussex, UK: Wiley Blackwell (forthcoming).
- "What Theologians Need to Know: Contributions from Queer Theory." In Oxford Handbook of Theology, Sexuality, and Gender, 153-69. Edited by Adrian Thatcher. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015.
- "Rethinking Sin and Grace for LGBT People Today." In Sexuality and the Sacred: Sources for Theological Reflection, 2nd ed., 105-18. Edited by Marvin M. Ellison and Kelly Brown Douglas. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 2010.
Key Lectures and Talks
- See YouTube page and "Speaking" section.
- Lecturer, 2021 Pitt Lecture, "Race and Sexuality in the ‘Regions Beyond’: Towards a Postcolonial Queer Missiology,” Berkeley Divinity School, Yale University, New Haven, CT (October 19, 2021) | Video (at 1:09:30) | Transcript.
- Panelist, "Queerness & Christianity," Stanford University Speaker Series on Queerness, Spirituality, and Religion, Stanford University, Stanford, CA (March 7, 2021) (via videoconference).
- Symposium Participant, "Queer Life After DOMA: The Triumph of Gay Marriage in an Age of Family Values," Yale University, New Haven, CT (April 25, 2014).
- Lecturer, Sixteenth Annual Gilberto Castañeda Lecture, "Triangles and Rainbows: Constructing a Queer of Color Theology," Chicago Theological Seminary, Chicago, IL (April 26, 2012) | Video.
- Lecturer, Fourth Annual John E. Boswell Lecture, "The Rainbow Connection: Bridging Asian American and Queer Theologies," Center for Gay and Lesbian Studies in Religion and Ministry, Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley, CA (April 28, 2011) | Text.
- Anglican Theological Review.
- Trustee (2016-present).
- American Academy of Religion.
- Chair, Committee on the Status of LGBTQ Persons in the Profession (2014-15).
- Member, Committee on the Status of LGBTQ Persons in the Profession (2012-13).
- Member (1999-present).
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA.
- Chaplaincy Intern, Clinical Pastoral Education (2014).
- Wabash Center for Teaching and Learning in Theology and Religion, Crawford, IN.
- Participant, Workshop for Pre-Tenure Asian and Asian American Religion and Theology Faculty (2011-12).
- Lead Instructor, Leadership Development Grant awarded by Trinity Church Wall Street to Episcopal Divinity School at Union Theological Seminary ($100,000).
- Lead Instructor, Grant awarded by the Arcus Foundation to Episcopal Divinity School for the Queer Theology Academy in Asia Project ($20,000).
- Recipient, Conant Grant awarded by the Standing Commission on Ministry Development, The Episcopal Church ($5,705).
- Metropolitan Community Churches.
- Ordained and licensed minister (2001-14).
- Chinese (Mandarin).
- Greek (Koine).
- Hebrew (Biblical).
- Latin (Ecclesiastical).