Below are the book chapters, articles, and other shorter works that I have published over the years. For an up-to-date listing of scholarly citations to my works, please see my Google Scholar Profile.
Blog Posts and Other Writings
- "Foreword." In Miguel Escobar, The Unjust Steward: Wealth, Poverty, and the Church Today, ix-xi. Cincinnati, OH: Forward Movement, 2022.
- "Foreword." In Joseph N. Goh, Doing Church at the Amplify Open and Affirming Conferences: Queer Ecclesiologies in Asia, v-vii. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2021.
- "Queer Theology." In Ford's The Modern Theologians: An Introduction to Theology Since 1918, 4th ed. Edited by Rachel Muers and Ashley Cocksworth. West Sussex, UK: Wiley Blackwell (forthcoming).
- "Queer Asian American Theologies." In Envisioning Religion, Race, and Asian Americans, 227-44. Edited by David K. Yoo and Khyati Y. Joshi. Honolulu, HI: University of Hawai'i Press, 2020.
- "What Theologians Need to Know: Contributions from Queer Theory." In Oxford Handbook of Theology, Sexuality, and Gender, 153-69. Edited by Adrian Thatcher. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015.
- "Domine, Non Sum Dignus: Theological Bullying and the Roman Catholic Church." In More Than A Monologue: Learning -- Essays on Sexual Diversity and the Catholic Church, 164-73. Edited by J. Patrick Hornbeck II and Michael A. Norko. New York: Fordham University Press, 2014.
- "Cur Deus Homo[sexual]: The Queer Incarnation." In Queering Christianity: Finding a Place at the Table for LGBTQI Christians, 51-63. Edited by Robert E. Shore-Goss, Thomas Bohache, Patrick S. Cheng, and Mona West. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger, 2013.
- "Radically Inclusive Models of God." In Queering Christianity: Finding a Place at the Table for LGBTQI Christians, 29-32. Edited by Robert E. Shore-Goss, Thomas Bohache, Patrick S. Cheng, and Mona West. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger, 2013.
- "The Amazing Grace of Same-Sex Blessings." In Encouraging Conversations: Resources for Talking about Same-Sex Blessings, 66-70. Edited by Fredrica Harris Thompsett. New York: Morehouse Publishing, 2013.
- "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Liberative Ethics." In Ethics: A Liberative Approach, 207-21. Edited by Miguel A. De La Torre. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 2013.
- "A Three-Part Sinfonia: Queer Asian Reflections on the Trinity." In New Overtures: Asian North American Theology in the 21st Century, 173-91. Edited by Eleazar S. Fernandez. Upland, CA: Sopher Press, 2012.
- "Rethinking Sin and Grace for LGBT People Today." In Sexuality and the Sacred: Sources for Theological Reflection, 2nd ed., 105-18. Edited by Marvin M. Ellison and Kelly Brown Douglas. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 2010.
- "Galatians." In The Queer Bible Commentary, 624-29. Edited by Deryn Guest, Robert E. Goss, Mona West, and Thomas Bohache. London: SCM Press, 2006.
- "Is Jesus Still 'ACTing Up'?," Theology and Sexuality 21, no. 3 (2015): 175-81.
- "Kuan Yin: Espejo del Cristo queer asiático," Religión e Incidencia Pública 1 (2013): 135-54.
- "From a 'Far East Coast Cousin': Queer Asian Reflections on Roger A. Sneed's Representations of Homosexuality," Black Theology: An International Journal 10, no. 3 (November 2012): 292-300.
- "A Three-Part Sinfonia: Queer Asian Reflections on the Trinity," Journal of Race, Ethnicity, and Religion 3, no. 2.9 (January 2012): 1-23.
- "Gay Asian Masculinities and Christian Theologies," CrossCurrents 61, no. 4 (December 2011): 540-48.
- "The Rainbow Connection: Bridging Asian American and Queer Theologies," Theology and Sexuality 17, no. 3 (September 2011): 235-64.
- "A Comprehensive Employee Benefits System for The Episcopal Church: The 2009 Amendments to Title I, Canon 8," Journal of Episcopal Church Canon Law 2, no. 2 (July 2011): 7-28.
- "'I Am Yellow and Beautiful': Reflections on Queer Asian Spirituality and Gay Male Cyberculture," Journal of Technology, Theology, and Religion 2, no. 3 (June 2011): 1-21.
- "Reclaiming Our Traditions, Rituals, and Spaces: Spirituality and the Queer Asian Pacific American Experience," Spiritus 6, no. 2 (Fall 2006): 234-40.
- Response to Mary E. Hunt, "Same-Sex Marriage and Relational Justice," Journal of Feminist Studies in Religion 20, no. 2 (Fall 2004): 103-07.
- "Multiplicity and Judges 19: Constructing a Queer Asian Pacific American Biblical Hermeneutic," Semeia 90-91 (2002): 119-33.
- "Note: Constitutional Limits on Anti-Gay-Rights Initiatives," Harvard Law Review 106, no. 8 (June 1993): 1905-25.
- Comment on Quill v. North Dakota, 504 U.S. 298 (1992), "The Supreme Court, 1991 Term -- Leading Cases," Harvard Law Review 106, no. 1 (November 1992): 163-73.
- The Rainbow Connection: Bridging Asian American and Queer Theologies. Berkeley, CA: Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies in Religion and Ministry, 2012.
- Book Review of R.H. Helmholz, The Spirit of Classical Canon Law, Anglican and Episcopal History 81, no. 3 (September 2012): 353-54.
- Book Review of Robert E. Goss, Queering Christ: Beyond Jesus Acted Up, Union Seminary Quarterly Review 57, no. 1-2 (2003): 158-60.
- Book Review of Stephen L. Carter, Reflections of an Affirmative Action Baby, Harvard Law Review 105, no. 3 (January 1992): 773-78.
- "LGBT Asian Americans and Christianity." In Asian American Religious Cultures, vol. 1, 88-93. Edited by Jonathan H.X. Lee et al. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO (2015).
- "Gay Men's Interpretation of the Bible: Christianity." In Encyclopedia of the Bible and Its Reception, vol. 9, 1030-33. Edited by Dale C. Allison et al. Berlin, Germany: Verlag Walter de Gruyter (2014).
- "Religion and Sexuality, Intersections of." In Encyclopedia of Diversity in Education, 1810-15. Edited by James A. Banks. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2012.
Blog Posts and Other Writings
- "Amplify 2013: Three Hundred Queer Asian Christians in Hong Kong," Huffington Post (June 17, 2013).
- "A Scout Is Trustworthy," Huffington Post (February 11, 2013).
- "A Unicorn at the White House," Huffington Post (July 30, 2012).
- "Religion and Gay Marriage: The Amazing Grace of Same-Sex Marriage," Huffington Post (June 22, 2012).
- "Remember That You Are Divine," Huffington Post (February 22, 2012).
- "The Values Voter Summit and the Idolatry of 'Family Values'," Huffington Post (October 13, 2011).
- "'Mr. Wong's Dong Emporium': Racism and the Gay Community," Huffington Post (September 28, 2011).
- "Lady Gaga and the Gospel of Judas," Huffington Post (May 16, 2011).
- "Radical Love: Why Christianity Is a Queer Religion," Huffington Post (March 29, 2011).
- "Art, Censorship, and the Scandal of the Cross," Huffington Post (January 10, 2011).
- "The Truth Will Make Us Free: A Queer Year in Review," Huffington Post (December 28, 2010).
- "Faith, Hope, and Love: Ending LGBT Teen Suicide," Huffington Post (October 6, 2010).
- "What About Love?: Why Judge Walker's Proposition 8 Ruling Is Theologically Correct," Huffington Post (August 5, 2010).
- "Evangelicals and Gays: Why Can't We All Get Along?," Huffington Post (July 5, 2010).
- "The Spiritual Significance of Pride," Huffington Post (June 24, 2010).
- "What Was the Real Sin of Sodom?," Huffington Post (June 20, 2010).
- "'Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin' and Other Modern-Day Heresies," Huffington Post (June 6, 2010).
- "Sin as the Closet, Grace as Coming Out: Rethinking Sin and Grace for LGBT People Today," Huffington Post (May 23, 2010).
- "'Ex-Gays' and the Ninth Circle of Hell," Huffington Post (May 20, 2010).
- "Unclean Spirits," PersuAsian (Spring 2006): 27-28, 31.
- "Jesus Comes Out," PersuAsian, no. 22 (Summer 2005): 23, 26-27.
- "God Loves Sex Too (Getting Down With the Spirit)," DRAGÜN (Spring 2000): 18-20.